Established by Friends of the Fort Gratiot Light and St. Clair County in 2016, this fund provides an opportunity for friends, donors, businesses and the general public to support the long-term growth and success of the historic Fort Gratiot Light Station.
The Fort Gratiot Light Station was built in 1829 and is Michigan’s oldest light house. Located on the five-acre retired Coast Guard Station, it includes the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse (1829), Light Keeper’s Duplex (1874), Fog Signal Building (1900), Single Keeper’s Dwelling (1932), former Coast Guard Station (1932), Equipment Building (1939), and a three bay garage (1990’s). It was officially transferred to St. Clair County Parks from the United States Coast Guard in 2010.
Gifts will help to achieve the mission to restore, preserve and maintain the historic Fort Gratiot Light Station for education and the enjoyment of the public.
Support includes things such as repairs, maintenance and upgrades to buildings and grounds, permanent signage or amenities and will not include routine operational needs.