The Algonac/Clay Community Fund was established by local residents to be a source of funding for programs, projects and organizations in the Algonac and Clay communities. The fund was established in 2004 and began making grants in 2006. Since that time the Fund has awarded 71 grants totaling over $65,000!
The most recent round of grants included:
- Algonac Community Schools – robotics
- Algonac Little League – dugout repair
- Boy Scouts of America Troop 223 – first aid kits
- First Evangelical Lutheran Church – meals for the needy
- Algonac Youth Football League – practice equipment
- Algonac/Clay Historical Society
Grant applications can be found at the Algonac branch of Seaway Bank from mid-February to mid-March each year.
In addition to individual donations received throughout the year, the Algonac/Clay Community Fund holds an annual Cinco de Mayo fundraising event the first Friday of May.
The Algonac/Clay Community Fund is governed by a local committee including Amy Amiels, Art Bryson, Beth Engel, Bill Gratopp, Donald Drake, Janet Evans, William Gratopp, William Koltz, Lucy Matro, Richard Szefer, Sharon Stiltner, John Stryker, Martha Szymanski and Mike Terry.