Vera Fuller-Hansen Educational Trust Fund
Vera Fuller Hansen was born on September 24, 1904 in Algonac. As a child she attended Pte. Tremble School where she later taught. Vera graduated in 1923 from Algonac High School. She taught in the Algonac School System for many years.
Vera also owned and operated the Vera Fuller Real Estate Office in Clay Twp. She was a member of the Eastern Star of Marine City.
She married Walter Hansen in 1947 in New Baltimore. Walter died in 1987. He was a member of the Algonac Rotary Club and a veteran of World War I. He worked with his wife at Vera Fuller Real Estate and was a wheelsman on the Great Lakes.
Vera died on May 26, 2004 at the age of 99. Upon her wishes that scholarships be given from her estate, a trust was established with the Community Foundation of St. Clair County in her name. Vera had requested that students living in both Algonac & Marine City who “wished to help people” in their profession” be considered for scholarships.
The Fuller Hansen Education Trust Fund was established on December 10, 2004 to provide scholarship support as follows:
- To graduating high school seniors for the purpose of furthering their education at such college or university as the students may desire to attend for the purpose of becoming doctors, medical technicians, dentists, research scientists, ministers, teachers, or such other professions or pursuits that will benefit mankind.
- Applicants must be a resident of Algonac,Clay Township, Marine City or Cottreville with continuous residency of at least twelve months prior to submitting the application.
- Applicants must submit a written essay (along with other materials required by the Foundation) expressing their plans and desires to use their skills for the benefit of mankind and their fellow people.
- Applicant must provide two written letters of recommendation, at least one of which must be from a teacher, minister or pastor. The other may be from any other source, excluding family members.
- Applicants must be either graduating high school seniors, or have graduated from high school no more than twelve months prior to submitting the application.
- Grantable funds from the Fuller Hansen Education Trust Fund will be divided between Algonac, Clay Township and Cottreville Township,Marine City.